Life Hack: Meal Planning

My greatest struggle during a busy work week has always been maintaining a healthy and well balanced diet. I use to eat out A LOT and by a lot I mean almost every meal! Between; work, friends, fitness and blogging it’s nearly impossible to find time to cook three meals just for ONE person. Not to mention, I found that it was more cost efficient to eat out if you calculated the time it takes to cook and the cost of groceries to make a decent meal.

This past year however, things changed for me in a big way because I got food poisoning TWICE! And trust me once was already enough to convince me to eat better. I guess what they say is true; eating-out isn’t always a great choice because it’s incredibly easy for your food to get contaminated in restaurants.

Following a friends advice, I started making a weekly meal-plan excel spread sheet (I know… I know… what a geek, right?). Well despite how it sounds it actually works great in helping you visually balance and plan the food you are going to have for the week. Let’s be honest, I am still going to eat out, a few times a week BUT the majority of my days are now filled with cleaner meals and some which I can make at home.

Here are a few tips in creating a Meal Plan:

1. Get Creative: Make an excel sheet highlighting the weekdays and meals in different colour codes + don’t forget to add your grocery list so you can prep before hand:

Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 7.15.26 PM

1. Lunch Share: If you have an awesome co-worker that you can share lunch with, try to workout a system where you can do lunch share. You bring lunch twice a week and they do the same. This way you have 4 days of lunch covered for the week! Two of which you didn’t even have to cook. Finally this keeps you responsible for making sure you stay on schedule.
  2. Stick with the plan: When doing your grocery shopping don’t get distracted from your meal schedule. In fact take it with you to see what you actually need for the week.
  3. Be realistic: If you know you are going to go out just put it as TBD on your meal plan. At the very least have 80% of you meals planned out.
  4. Be flexible: Life is not predictable and things may always come up to mess-up our schedule. If you miss a day it’s ok! just keep going with the next days schedule!

Hope you guys found this post helpful! 🙂

1. pitch2cage says:

Very useful post and some good advice 🙂

What an unusual but helpful post 🙂

lol! thank you 😛

What are your biggest temptations?

Nutella lol 😛 and to eat out.. Ramen Noodles! how about you?!

Dominos pizza. And chocolate milkshakes/eclairs. I reckon we should get three things on an exempt list that would qualify as fruit/vegetables.

Aahahhah I agree!!

3. haha if i had known this when i first made the decision to eat healthier it would’ve probably been easier for me. When I shop for groceries, I tend to go through ALL the isles and end up finding something I shouldn’t get. My trick was to make a grocery list before hand and ONLY go to the isles of where the things on my list were. That helped me a lot!

Hey Aimee!! That’s a great tip!! Only buy what you have one your list 🙂 it’s soo hard though because sometimes they have great deals… it’s how they get you!! lol

1. Yeah seriously! Just gotta stay strong and not get tempted haha