For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to get up early for morning workouts. It’s difficult to find time during the weekdays to go for workouts so I have been trying to utilize those precious morning hours.
Now let me make this clear, I am not a morning person at all! I use to think waking up at 5:30am was simply inhuman. However, I have come across countless studies that indicate waking up early has numerous benefits and of all things apparently it can give you an energy boost for the rest of the day. Therefore, I thought I would give this whole ‘waking up early for a workout thing’ a try!
The last couple of weeks I have been getting-up at 5:30 am at least twice a week for a morning workout. And it’s been … great but challenging at the same time. These are some of the challenges I have came across so far:
- Waking up early. Honestly at 5:30 am my face is pretty much glued to my pillow so to wakeup is a whole thing.
- To eat or not to eat? I know you are supposed to eat before going to the gym but at 5:30 am, it’s just not happening. I find I have no appetite and can barely drink water.
- At the gym, I experienced what it’s like to workout while your body is still asleep. The strangest thing my legs were moving but half of my body was still asleep till about 20 minutes into the workout when a sudden surge of energy was realized.
- I felt great after my workout and by 6:45 am I was already making a well-deserved breakfast!
- I found that I had about an extra hour in the morning to properly get ready for work and even check my emails.
- I was terribly hungry again by 10 am at work so a snack or even a second smaller breakfast was needed.
September is my workout challenge and I plan on toning up and eating better, in addition to being more productive with my time.The challenge set forth this month is to; wakeup up (hopefully) everyday at 5:30 am and either hit the gym or work on something productive. It has been said that to truly adopt a habit it needs to be practiced for at least 30 days and so I am going to try this out and let you all know how it goes!
Wish me luck and PLEASE give me some advice if you have any! 🙂