More Than Just A Rug

It’s funny when you pay attention to every little thing in your living space. You are forced to really consider what is occupying your space and how is it adding value to your life?
As part of a decluttering project I started over the summer, I got rid of all my furniture and I am starting from scratch to redecorate with minimalism in mind (slowly getting there). During the decluttering process there were only a handful of things I just could not get rid of and this Persian rug was one of them!

Authentic Persian rugs are a culmination of artistic magnificence and a huge part of the Iranian culture. Dating back to over 2500 years ago Iranians were the amongst the first leaders in the art of weaving. Beyond its decorative intentions Persian rugs symbolize peace, warmth and patience, all wonderful symbols to have in your living space! 🙏🏻 A Persian rug obtains it’s richness through a variety of detailed patterns, natural materials, natural dyes and many of the highest quality rugs are completely handmade.

Some of these rugs are so detailed and expensive to obtain that they are sold in smaller versions to be framed and hung on the wall.

As a huge part of my cultural heritage, my Persian rugs are amongst my most prized positions that make me happy and remind me of home!

Clutter can happen and can frustrate you. I agree you have to pay attention.

Liked by 2 people

You could not be more on point! My biggest problem at the moment is 3 closets full of clothes…. I need to fix this.

2. Josh Wrenn says:

I prefer living in a very minimalist way, However, because a Persian rug is not going to sit on a shelf somewhere to collect dust, I wouldn’t consider getting rid of something so beautiful in order to reach that goal.

Trueeeee!!! it was a dilemma for me as well, I was like do I roll this up and put it away? but somehow I could not! I hope to still reach minimalism even with the carpet. I am planning on having smaller furniture pieces and the fewer the better!

Liked by 2 people

Keeping the rug is the right decision. As for the clothes in the closet, I go through periods of donating clothes to places like Goodwill in the US and to the Syrian refugees here in Turkey. Moving helps motivate me in that regard and now that I’ll be returning to the US soon, it’ll be time to donate some more.

I am planning an EPIC donation of 10-15 bags to a charity! We have some syrian refugee charities in Vancouver as a lot of them are residing here! I will keep you posted on this 🙂

Liked by 2 people

You will make a lot of people happy. And the rug, by the way since I neglected to say it before, is beautiful. One could find peace staring into its pattern.

Liked by 2 people

If my donation makes just one person happy it will be well worth it! As for the rug, thank you so much! Persian rugs are extraordinary I mean really they are art! and they do bring in a cozy/peaceful feeling! 🙂 I too am glad I didn’t put it away!

Liked by 2 people

The Turks have a tradition of rug making, too, but I believe they got it from the Persians. Persian culture is much older in this region, after all.

Liked by 2 people

😛 I am glad you said it and not me! there is a lot of struggle with “claims” of where things originated from in the East… I swear that’s where a lot of our divisions come from the ego of claiming!

Liked by 2 people

Very true. This country is rich in history but Turks keep thinking it is their history when in actually it is the history of the many cultures that were here before: Persians, Greeks, Romans. All much older civilizations here.

Liked by 2 people

Ohhhhhhh yah! I know this all too well, it’s not just the Turks, it’s unfortunately many of the countries that use to be part of the Persian Empire. I was always conflicted as to why nobody seems to get along but the answer really lies far back in history and it’s layered in complexity. I am sure you are aware that after Alexander the great took over the Persian Empire and then suddenly passed away, many of the regions were invaded by Arabs. Not just invaded by taking over the territory but also culturally- even down to language. It’s left a huge scar in many culture even the Iranian culture. For that reason much of the history was diluted but behaviorally many of the smaller countries have become hypersensitive to trying to define themselves and protect their identity. It’s understandable… in a way..

I would say it’s much like Korea, Japan & China. There are so many similarities between the three cultures but because of countless cross invasions they have all become hyper protective of “identity”.

Even though, let’s be honest, culture develops often from neighboring regions for a variety of reason but nobody wants to admit it.

Now it’s technology and the influence of culture transmitted virtually through the airwaves. A kind of world culture will emerge, a blend of the more dominant countries’ cultures. Perhaps that’s a good thing, as long as it’s positive, but there seems to be too much violence associated with these games, films, pop art, even music. And that’s not a good thing. The wrong values take over, I’m afraid.

Regardless it’s a beautiful tradition and I am glad to hear it’s shared amongst many!

Liked by 2 people

You are right. There is much that we share and by sharing, we make things better and more meaningful to us all.

Liked by 2 people

4. lebeau says:

It really ties the room together.

HAHAHA I love that clip!

5. Persian rugs are exquisite; as is the rug in your photo.

Why thank you Rob!!! you are the best 🙂

6. Seriously gorgeous! I’ve had a Persian rug on my home decor wishlist for ages! I love your style, you should make a post about some of the minimalist decor you’ve been using – I’d love to see it.. 🙂

Hi Amanda!! Thank you so much I am flattered, I most certainly will post more on my home decor, thanks for the suggestion. And I really really really recommend that you get a persian rug! It’s a rug you are going to have for a long time! 🙂