Monday Motivations:Setting Intentions

Hello my awesome readers,

I meant to write this post a while ago but I first needed to put some of these ideas to test before I felt like I could write about them. Over the holiday break, I came head to head with some difficult life decisions, maybe it was the new year, or maybe it was just time to face the question that has been haunting me for sometime now:

“What do I want to do with the rest of my life?”

Sometimes you can foresee the path that lays ahead of you and if non of the expected highlights spark any kind of excitement anymore… then you know it’s time to make some changes. But where do you start? I mean really, how do you even start to unravel everything and then redesign and rebuild your life.

My initial urge was just to get out of my current city, I looked around and felt a sudden urge to run and I mean run far far away from Vancouver and escape to Europe or to the States, start a new job, and then all my problems should go away, right?

After all, non of my family members are even in Vancouver anymore! Everyone has found their own way and their own path and I don’t think they are coming back. Who am I holding the fort down for?

In a lot of ways, growing up in Vancouver as a child was a blessing and curse! A blessing because it’s one of the best cities to grow up in and a curse because real life opportunities are not as prevalent as they should be but it’s SO hard to leave such a beautiful city.

On top of all that, I am constantly reminded of my friends who have made the big jump across continents and are truly happy! And it’s not just them, it’s many of us millennials experiencing the “The Great Vancouver Exodus”.

But does moving solve all your problems? No. I don’t think it can, at least not for me. Because at the core of it, I knew that I wasn’t really happy with what I was doing. Somewhere along the way, I had somehow turned off my brain from thinking about the possibility of needing something more. I needed to pave a new path to get on before I could even consider moving to a new city.

This was something I had been complaining about for the last year, I would message my friends in London & New York and just cry! literally cry and ask why am I still here? finally over the holiday break my friend from London sent me a workbook from author Susannah Conway and simply told me to do it and do it NOW! I looked through the 33 paged booklet and immediately got scared…. the questions were so detailed… so in your face.

I got started anyway, it was not easy. The first part was unravelling the year behind… I tried to answer all the questions as honestly as I possibly could and then I let the answers sink in for a few days.

Next came the more difficult part, unravelling the year ahead… 2016. Some of the questions were easy and some… not so much. Then came one of the last few questions:

“Close your eyes for a moment and imagine stepping into the shoes of you from December 2016, one year from now. You are one year older and one year wiser and you’ve lived every day of 2016 fully and completely. You have a message of encouragement about 2016. There’s stuff you want to share… stuff you’re eager to tell yourself.

When you’re ready, open your eyes, pick up your pen, and write a letter from your future self, starting with Dear (your name):”

What I wrote next surprised me a lot and looking back at the booklet it was more clear to me what I wanted to do next with my life. It was a brilliant exercise because it sort of set into motion the events that would take place in my life in the proceeding weeks. And it wasn’t things I could ignore anymore. I always knew that the power of writing was important but that combined with the power of intention is what really gets things moving.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t some magical booklet that you can finish and then eat a sandwich while you wait for life to happen. In fact it’s the exact opposite, it’s a package that you finish and then the real work begins. Everyday of this year has presented various changes and challenges for me, which is what I wanted and asked for but only a month and half into 2016, I know that this booklet has had a lot to do with my decision making.

And while moving from Vancouver is still a great possibility for me, it’s  no longer for the sake of “running away” but rather for a more specific goal I have set out for myself.

For the reasons I mentioned above and in the spirit of Monday Motivations, I encourage you all to take a look at this package and try to complete it. I think you might even surprise yourself with your answers.

Xx. ParPar.V

Good luck with your future plans. Life is a journey, after all, that only ends when we leave this world for whatever lies beyond.

Hello Leonardo! You know what? That’s a great reminder. I really appreciate that 🙂

You are most welcome. I knew you already knew that but it’s always good to hear it again.

2. Hi Par,

I use the ‘letter to self’ in a lot of my coaching work. As you say it is a really good tool for establishing clarity. Good luck and if you ever get to Europe give me a shout!

Is that right?! I had never done it before! It was really helpful! And thank you for the support !! If you ever come by Vancouver let me know!

3. lebeau says:

I’m surprised to read that you were strongly considering relocating. One of the things that struck me about your blog was your love of Vancouver. Reading your work, I felt like you painted a vivid picture of a unique and vibrant town. I will confess that your blog has changed some preconceived notions that I as an American held about your country. Having said that, I understand the desire to move.

My family and I are just about done with a move of our own. We only relocated a few miles to a new school district. But the new house is an upgrade for us and obviously the school is the one we wanted our kids to attend. In terms of quality of life, it’s been a huge change for us. We spent the last year working to make this happen and now that we are here I can finally say that for us, it was worth the effort.

For you, where you are young and just starting out, its a completely different calculation. It doesn’t sound like there is a lot holding you to this location. You’ve got to go where the opportunities are. If they are in Vancouver, great. If not, by all means follow your dreams. If you don’t do it now, you probably won’t do it later. A reality of life is that over time doors close. You don’t want to look back and realize that you missed an opportunity. Odds are, you won’t regret taking a chance on a new location even if things don’t go exactly as planned.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Lebeau! Thank you so much for the thoughtful comment and your honest opinion and advice. My blogging experience has been so rewarding and a huge part of that is because of returning readers like yourself, who now have an understanding of my voice and where I am coming from. I will say that Vancouver is one of those cities that is absolutely perfect in many ways and beautiful natural surroundings being one of the highest gifts we are rewarded with here. with all that said, sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live in a different city and culture. Although, Vancouver mainly consists of immigrants and has a wide variety of cultures, it still seems to have it’s own bubble. I would say it’s largely due to the cost of living here which brings in more the wealthy population. In 10-15 years Vancouver will likely pickup on the tech industry and that would be very exciting but for now… opportunities are limited. I think you are right to say that I should follow my dreams,I know that I could never regret doing that. Vancouver will always be here and a city I will likely return to in the future if I do decided to move 🙂

Thank you so so so much again for your comment!!! Sending over lots of positive vibes for you and your family and congrats on moving 🙂

Make Canada better. The USA isn’t all that and I’m an American.

Lol- I have to say I love your honesty! 🙂