Throw Back Thursday: Graduation Memories!

Hello my amazing readers,

This post is a very emotional #TBT (Throw Back) for me to write because I honestly cannot believe how quickly time flew by since I graduated from University some years ago.Grad lineup.jpg

With graduation day just around the corner for many of you, I thought I would reminisce on my own day and see if there is any advice I can offer to you  (And cry about how old I am now).

Truth be told, I contemplated not attending my commencement ceremony but a lot of people told me I would regret not going and so with a somewhat annoyed and bad attitude, I signed up to go last minute. I was mostly resistant to attend because I was disappointed my parents couldn’t come, they were extremely busy (and on the other side of the world) so I just thought, why am I going to this thing?

A very good friend of mine at the time practically escorted me through the whole experience and if it wasn’t for her, I probably would not have gone. I went with one goal in mind and that was to take some pictures for my family and that’s it. I had no other expectation what so ever.

IMG_0397.JPG

I will say, I was fairly surprised to have actually enjoyed the entire experience. There is something to be said about marking the end of a journey in such a grandiose way, amongst hundreds of other graduates.

IMG_0352.JPG

I distinctly recall a moment during the ceremony when I had flashbacks of my entire undergraduate degree; the sleepless nights, 4 hour lectures, endless reading material, horror of Calculus I, Managerial accounting (Yikes!), Financial accounting (double Yikes), 4th year seminars, conducting a seminar, down to my final paper submission that was 84.5 pages long- double spaced, font 12 (closest I’ve ever gotten to writing a book). It’s funny because back then I couldn’t wait to leave school and I really thought I would NEVER go back. But honestly, I miss it ! even with all the stress that comes with school, the chance to obtain knowledge in academia is priceless.

I really only realized how great my undergraduate degree experience was long after I left. I still have strong and lasting friendships from Uni-days and memories with those friends that are forever engraved in our hearts. I now realize that education is a luxury that I should have been more thankful for and complained a lot less about!

My greatest advice to all of you who are about to attend your graduation is to let go of all the stress/negativity and enjoy the day to it’s fullest. Yes, it will be long but my goodness it is SOO worth it! And really take the day to appreciate how much work you have accomplished!

IMG_5273.jpg

And now for some fun insight on my own graduation experience, step by step:

1.The final lineup: I have now waited at 10 different lineups we are 3 hours into this thing. And I am thinking: .why does my last name start with one of the last letters of the alphabet making me the 300th person to graduate and wait in lineups all day. With that said, I was also extremely grateful it wasn’t raining!

IMG_0362.JPG

2. Restating my name before I grab my degree: the only thing I was thinking here was: dear announcer man, please please don’t mess up the pronunciation of my name.

IMG_0369.JPG

3. Grabbing my degree:  well he definitely messed up the pronunciation of my name, let’s just hope I don’t trip and fall on stage (fingers crossed).

IMG_0370.JPG

4. Finally grabbed my degree and getting my alumni pin! not sure who this man is at all but I hope he washes his hands after this cause that is a lot of handshakes to go through!

IMG_0372.JPG

5. It’s all over: I will never come back!! 😛 … oh how wrong I was about that feeling!IMG_0359.JPG

6. I HAD BEEN WAITING TO THROW THIS HAT FOR 4 YEARS!

IMG_5267.jpg

I wish you all the BEST graduation! let me know if you have any fun grad stories you would like to share 🙂

1. Josh Wrenn says:

Please do not say you’re old, that would make me ancient, and I still think of myself as young. Great advice for all the new grads!

LOL! thank you but I stopped acknowleging the fact that I am aging pretty much after 21 …..so I am still adjusting hahahahha. I really actually don’t mind getting older but when I suddenly realize how quickly the last 5 years have past I am shocked. It’s important to really appreciate the time we have in this life 🙂

2. Loved reading through this!! Brought back some memories too! 🙂

Thank girl! I know right? Looking at all the pics is all the feels!

3. Keith says:

You earned, so you should relish in it. I love the tailored cap tops the kids are doing. It adds fun for parents to see the novelty during 500 diplomas.

Indeed!! those tailored caps are fun to throw around for sure~thanks for stopping by Keith!

1. Keith says:

Plus, you know which one is yours after tossing.

Lovely photos. What magical memories. Gorgeous flowers too. So glad the sun was out for such a special day.

Me too!!! The sun made my day thanks Alex! What was your grad like ?

Very different. It rained pretty much the whole day.

5. Stylehue says:

Such a fitting throw back 🙂 Too bad your parents could not make it on the day, but where I’m from we don’t even have this day. We only have class on the last day, and then we gets sent the paper in the mail a few weeks later :p

xo

Awww thank you! My parents liked the pictures and I am glad I ended up going so in the end it’s all good. Where abouts are you from? do you guys do a party after or anything? Maybe with friends!

1. Stylehue says:

That’s good that your parents liked the pictutres. No I think people don’t really care much at home. I’m from Norway ❤

6. You look so happy in those pics! I graduated a couple of years ago, but I still miss going to college.
    XO