Picasso in Vancouver!

Hello, my amazing readers,

I am most certainly not an expert of the Arts but I sincerely appreciate being in the presence of master pieces such as that of Pablo Picasso (1881 – 1973). when I heard the Vancouver art gallery was holding the “Picasso: The Artist and His Muses” exhibit, I knew I had to check it out.

Pablo Picasso is the representation of “change” in traditional art and a genius when it came to challenging all the rules of art and really traditions of life itself.

This particular exhibit was centered on the women in Picasso’s life and my goodness there were many! It has been widely known that women were always at the focal point of Picasso’s masterpieces but I never really knew how frequently he changed his partners.

It has been said that Picasso changed his companions as often as he changed painting styles.

This exhibit featured six women who had the greatest influence on his artwork and was chronologically organized. I enjoyed getting to read about the women and how they met/influenced Picasso’s development. Like the saying goes; behind every man, there is a great woman and in Picasso’s case, there was an ARMY of women he was fascinated with.

I am not entirely sure how I feel about Picasso’s personal life and his frequent changes in companions. On the one hand, it highlights the ideology of objectifying women but on the other hand, it celebrates the beauty and power women have… I am still pretty torn about where I stand on this I wonder what your thoughts are?

Meanwhile, check out some of the pictures and videos I managed to snap:

img_5460

img_5459

img_5421

img_5434

What a fascinating exhibition. Thanks for the snaps. He sounds he had a restless spirit.

He was!! You should check it out if it comes your way in London 🙂

I’ve been lucky enough to see quite a few of his works up close but I want more haha

How wonderful! Yes in London you are surrounded by amazing art. I’ll be visiting soon (fingers crossed)

I’m crossing mine too 🙂

2. Keith says:

It is fun to view Picasso’s work. It has something for every one and does create conversation. My eye was drawn to the photo of the graceful woman with him in the photo, who must be a dancer of some sort. She just looks so elegant.

Hi Keith! Thanks for viewing my post. Yes indeed Picasso does have mass appeal to audiences, I have long been fascinated by his work but didn’t know much about his personal life until this very exhibit. He truly admired women and you can see that throughout all his pieces. The woman you mentioned in the picture was indeed a ballet dancer and very elegant.

1. Keith says:

Thanks for confirming that. You are right, his art incorporated women in a way only he could. We saw an exhibit in Atlanta a few years ago and it was mesmerizing. Thanks, Keith

3. painkills2 says:

“Picasso’s personal life and his frequent changes in companions”

Men are usually into variety, while women are usually more into stability. I can’t be sure, but it seems like variety teaches you a lot more about life. 🙂

I was waiting for someone to bite the bait and unleash an inevitable dispute on the subject lol. I personally don’t have an issue with people’s choice of lifestyle so long as they are not hurting anybody. I would say on the grounds you mentioned, I speculate that women don’t engage in “variety” because of societal norms and fear of being labeled. Meanwhile, men such as Picasso become legendary artist! Mind you in 1800s a promiscuous woman would have been jailed for “variety”.

1. painkills2 says:

You’re right, of course — even in 2016, women and men are not treated equally. Male rock gods are celebrated for the number of women they sleep with, but just think how everyone would react if Beyonce slept around. (Maybe she’ll try it, since her husband has done it.) I was reading something yesterday about Taylor Swift, and how it looks bad that she dates so many different men. Please. We’re a culture that celebrates sex in music, movies, and commercials, yet we still haven’t found our sexual maturity. Well, maybe one day. 🙂

I couldn’t have said it better myself, What a great reference to Beyonce and Swift.
        I agree 100% with your statements on all counts. Firstly, when it comes to Beyonce; she releases an album which confirms her husband has been cheating on her for years and yet she stays with him and somehow it’s ‘powerful’ that she was able to “forgive” him? I mean it’s a joke. And not to mention I didn’t hear anyone bashing Jayz while the entire “bee-hive” was out on a witch hunt for any woman named Becky (that’s a whole other issue)z And as for swiftly, I don’t even really like her music but I admire her hard work and dedication, why can’t the girl date??! And she is somehow a bad person for moving on weeks after a breakup? WHO sets these rules ?!!! And This is exactly ,as you mentioned, the modern transition of an old sexist ideology that has transmitted itself like a disease throughout centuries.

3. painkills2 says:

Most women thought that Hillary was stupid for staying with Bill. Was she? I dunno, it seems like she’s doing okay. And it seems like Bill is more of a liability to her, which makes me wonder if she stayed with him because she really does love him. Or maybe she just thought that she couldn’t become President without Bill’s help. Sadly, that’s probably true.

As for Jay Z, I’m sure his fans don’t think worse of him for cheating, except maybe some of his white female fans. I think black people are more understanding of affairs, including black women. But in that case, I think black women put up with cheating because there are a lot fewer choices in men within that community. And really, when a woman stays with a cheater, I would guess it’s usually not about love.

It’s hard to imagine that cheating and the resulting fall-out would ever enhance a relationship, but I guess it happens. Whatever Beyonce decides to do, I’ll stand behind her, even though I’m not a fan of her music. Don’t much like Taylor Swift’s music, either, but you can’t help but respect her, too. Now, with Miley Cyrus, I both respect and like (some of) her music. 🙂

Interesting analogy about Hilary and Bill, it does beg the question: is love involved in that relationship or is it a marriage of convenience, loyalty or perhaps a necessity for obtaining political strength. I would say that cheating is universal and it happens to both genders and all races but if a woman commits such a crime it is far more severely punished than if a man were to do so (therein lies the problem). I am not sure I can speak to your point about black women because frankly I have no knowledge in the subject matter. I do believe any underprivileged group and gender is susceptible to a life with little choice and that, in and of itself, is the root of many similar tragedies.
        A naive and rather idealistic side of me strives to eliminate all gender roles wherever I can and perhaps Picasso strived to do the same by dissecting and dispositioning the human body and features in his art work. Perhaps, that was the point of it all… So that we ask these questions and spark conversations.

4. chandleur1 says:

Thank you for letting me see a great master at work.

It’s my absolute pleasure!